1. You get one shot at life, but there’s no second chance.
Understand you have to live with the consequences
2. The past is the past, you can’t turn back time and relive the moment.
Focus on the now.
3. Be compassionate to everyone, not just to your friends.
Compassion is key, everyone deserves to be treated with compassion, friend or foe.
4. Hangovers suck.
You can’t drink a keg of beer, sleep for a couple of hours and make it to work the next morning. When you’re at this age in life, a couple of beers already gets you turnt up, so make sure you get some rest because a daily detox is almost mandatory.
5. Your body is your temple, take care of it.
6. It’s OK to say no.
Don’t be afraid to say no. That’s one thing that you’ll have to deal with. You don’t have to impress anyone anymore.
7. Relationships take compromise.
There is no perfect relationship – it takes time, countless hours of discussion and compromise.
8. Everyone snoops, be mindful of the information you leave to the public.
Every company you shop at spies on you, and so do all of your friends and people you meet.
9. Money isn’t important, follow your passion.
You can’t buy time, and plenty of broke people are happy.
10. You’re in control, you are the creator of your own world.
11. Life is just like high school.
You’ll still see it, there are always going to be cliques, gossip, and all other annoyances of high school. People don’t graduate and suddenly mature, just got to accept it. Play the game or hit the showers
12. You’re wrong sometimes, everyone makes mistakes.
You don’t know everything. Learn to admit when you’re wrong, especially if you’re a guy. Chicks dig humility.
13. Respect is earned.
So you’re out in the real world, probably feeling like a monarch, but guess what, you’re no better than anyone else. There’s no inherent respect that comes with your career, degree, or position in life. If you don’t treat everyone with respect, you’ll lose theirs.
14. Rules are only guidelines.
People break laws all the time, even if it’s simple things. Don’t blindly follow people and act against your own personal ethics – ask questions and make your own decisions.
15. Goals are vital, set short and long term goals and follow them.
You won’t get anywhere in life if you have no direction – you’ll end up stuck in an entry-level position for the rest of your life.
16. Hatred wastes energy, people do terrible things, and everyone has an opinion.
The older you get, the less those minor things matter to you. Focus your efforts on improving your life instead of ruining someone else’s, or possibly your own.
17. It’s never too late.
Don’t worry, people can find success later in their lives still – Stan Lee, creator of Marvel Universe, got his first hit comic, “The Fantastic Four,” just shy of his 39th birthday, Vera Wang was a figure skater and journalist before entering the fashion industry at age 40 and now she’s one of the world’s premier women’s designers, and Henry Ford created the Model T car at 45. So it’s never too late to do what you want. If you wanna see more, here’s a list of 20 people who becomes successful after age 40.
18. Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed, learn to appreciate the time you have.
You probably felt invincible when you were younger, but now that you’re older, learn to appreciate the time you have now.
19. College is overrated.
Plenty of people found success in life without going to college or having a degree. What’s more important is knowledge, so try to have an open mind, keep learning, and trust your instincts. You can always hire someone with a degree later.
20. Pop culture fades.
People are buzzing about people you’ve never heard of, soon enough you’re going to know less and less…
21. Gossip wastes time.
Unless you’re Perez Hilton, there’s no need to discuss other peoples’ lives.
22. Your parents are hypocrites.
You’ll reach the age your parents were when you were a kid, you’ll look back and realize all the things they told you not to do are things they did do. You were totally right back then.
23. You’re just like your parents.
Whether you believe in nature or nurture shaping who we are, you’re exactly like your parents. The older you get, the more you realize it, and it’ll drive you nuts.
24. Overnight success doesn’t exist.
Behind every overnight success you see is years of struggle nobody saw or told. They all got on their grind and worked twice as hard while you’re on Facebook. If you’re not where you want to be, work harder
25. Life isn’t fair.
A lot of really good people get shit on; that’s just the way it is. Good people are taken from us too early, and you’ll take heat for things you didn’t do.
26. It’s not what you know; it’s how you apply it.
Promotions may be automatic in school, but in the real world qualified people are constantly overlooked. The game exists, whether you like it or not, so you better play if you want to get ahead. You have to work twice as hard for half as much as those in power.
27. The more you speak, the more you do, people will hate you.
You can’t please everyone all of the time, so focus on pleasing yourself…just not in a school zone.
28. You’re not entitled to anything, if you want success, you need to go for it.
No matter who you are or what you accomplished in the past, success won’t be handed to you.
29. No one’s keeping score, step off your soapbox and stop judging other people’s decisions.
You can follow every rule, do everything right, and live a perfect life. No matter what you do, you’re still going to die just like everyone else, and you can’t take anything with you when you do.